5199 was one of ten locomotives built under Lot 284 (Nos.5190 – 5199) at the GWR’s Swindon Works and was completed in November 1934. Its initial allocation was to Tyseley (Birmingham) shed where it remained until January 1948.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Leamington Spa|
|September 1961||Stafford Road|
|December 1962||Cheltenham (stored)|
|February 1963||Gloucester Horton Road|
It was withdrawn from service in March 1963.
After withdrawal and 22 years in Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry, 5199 moved to the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway at Toddington in 1985. The owners then moved it to the Llangollen Railway in 1988.
As little progress was made it was moved to MOD Long Marston where much work was done before 5199 returned to Llangollen in 1996 where restoration progressed steadily leading to its return to steam in February 2003. The locomotive has since been a regular performer at Llangollen having completed its last overhaul in November 2014.
The locomotive was sent to Tyseley in January 2018 for winter maintenance work and was steamed again there in January 2018.
The locomotive returned to Tyseley again in January 2019 for a heavy duty overhaul but was back at Llangollen in April 2019.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Llangollen Railway||Operational||The 5199 Project|