5553 was built at Swindon in 1928 and allocated to Bristol Bath Road where it remained until 1947.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Bristol Bath Road|
|July 1948||Bristol Bath Road|
|November 1960||St Blazey|
It was withdrawn in November 1961 whilst at St Blazey and sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers.
It was the last locomotive to leave Barry in January 1990 when it was transported to the Dean Forest Railway. Having spent nearly 28 years in the scrapyard (March 1962 – January 1990) it holds the record for being the longest resident there.
In 1990 it was bought by the Waterman Trust (founded by Pete Waterman) and restored to working order in 2002. It was based on the West Somerset Railway but was moved to Crewe to be overhauled after a decade of service.
Following Pete Waterman selling his facility at Crewe 5553 has moved to Peak Rail at Rowsley to undertake the overhaul.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Peak Rail||Under Overhaul||Pete Waterman – The Waterman Railway Heritage Trust|