5952 Cogan Hall

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 5952-cogan-hall-at-llangollen-april-2016.jpg

5952 was built at Swindon in December 1935. As a mixed traffic engine it would have handled both passenger duties and freight duties. Its first shed allocation was the Penzance depot in Cornwall.

Early motive power depot allocations.

Date ArrivedDepot
1935Penzance
Laira (Plymouth)
Truro
St Blazey
1939Cardiff Canton
1945Old Oak Common

BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.

Date ArrivedDepot
January 1948Old Oak Common
September 1950Southall
December 1954Penzance
June 1955Plymouth Laira
September 1955Worcester
August 1959Hereford
November 1963Cardiff East Dock

Its last shed allocation was to Cardiff East Dock before it was withdrawn from duties in June 1964.

The engine ended up at Woodham Brothers scrapyard in Barry, South Wales and thus survived into preservation unlike some of its other class mates. 5952 Cogan Hall left Barry in September 1981 after being purchased by the Cambrian Railway Trust. Stored at the Cambrian Railways Trust, the intention was to restore it at their Oswestry site.

After a period on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway 5952 was moved to the Llangollen Railway in June 1988.

In 2010 it was sold to the Betton Grange Society, who are using its bogie and tender for the new-build locomotive 6880 Betton Grange. In the long term, the Society hopes to restore the engine at the Llangollen Railway.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
Llangollen RailwayHas donated parts for the build of 6880 Betton Grange but may be restoredBetton Grange Society
5952 Cogan Hall in Woodhams scrapyard at Barry – August 1980
5952 Cogan Hall at Llangollen - July 1989.jpg
5952 Cogan Hall at Llangollen – July 1989
5952 Cogan Hall at Llangollen – April 2011
5952 Cogan Hall at Llangollen – April 2016

Back to 4900 class

Back to GWR

Back to Locomotives