62712 was completed at Darlington in February 1928 as LNER 246 an allocated to
From 1928 to Nationalisation in 1948 it was allocated to Dundee, Perth, Haymarket and St Margarets. By the time it arrived at Haymarket in 1944 Morayshire had undergone five general overhauls and one heavy overhaul. These included new frames and cylinders in 1935 and the boiler changed four times. When originally built the engine was fitted with Westinghouse air braking.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|1st January 1948||Haymarket|
|March 1948||St Margarets|
|February 1958||Thornton Junction|
62712 was withdrawn from service in July 1961 as the last working member of the class. It was then moved to Slateford Landry in Edinburgh for use as a stationary boiler. This lasted until January, 1962 at which time it was put into store at Dalry Road Edinburgh.
In 1962 Ian Fraser who had worked on the class at Darlington had become interested in the fate of Morayshire and after negotiations with BR it was transferred to Dawsholm Shed in Glasgow pending further developments.
In 1964 the 62712 was hauled by 62277 Gordon Highlander to Inverurie Works for restoration. ICI at Ardeer was able to store the locomotive until 1966 when it then moved to the Royal Elizabeth Dockyard at Dalmeny where it was officially handed over to the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh.
In 1974 the Royal Scottish Museum agreed to loan it to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society (SRPS) with the aim of returning it to steam. After having work undertaken on the boiler and running gear Morayshire participated in the 150th Anniversary of the Stockton and Darlington Railway at Shildon in August, 1975 but spent much of the 1980s and 1990s in static condition.
The engine was based at Falkirk and used on the main line until withdrawn from service in 1983. It was partially dismantled at Falkirk and due to relocation of the SRPS to Bo’ness and other priorities overhaul work only restarted in earnest in early 2000. This overhaul was completed in late July 2003 in time to participated in the open day at Doncaster Works. It became operational on the line at Bo’ness in August 2005.
In 2011 the 62712 was removed from traffic to fit new tyres to the driving wheels and re-metaling of the axle boxes. The tender wheel sets also have had their tyres re-profiled and springs re-furbished.
62712 was taken out of service on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway in November 2015 when its boiler certificate expired.
In 2016 agreement was reached between the Scottish Railway Preservation Society (SRPS) and the National Museum of Scotland who own the locomotive to extend the loan of the locomotive for another ten years to 2026.
In 2016 the Scottish Railway Preservation Society arranged for Morayshire to be sent to the Llangollen Railway for a contract overhaul. The locomotive was moved to Llangollen in the September 2016 and it is hoped to have it available again for running in 2018. It is anticipated that the boiler will require significant work including new sections of the outer firebox wrapper, throatplate and backhead as well as a new smokebox. The locomotive itself is considered in a tired mechanical state. The cost of the overhaul is thought to be around £200,000.
By the middle of 2017 indications were that the locomotive was in better condition than might have been anticipated. By the end of 2017 it was indicated that the locomotive would be back in service in the spring of 2018.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway||Undergoing overhaul||
Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh