6619 was built in 1928.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
It was withdrawn from service in March 1963.
6619 was saved from Barry for two reasons
- Being an inside cylinder locomotive hardly any of the parts had been removed as they were so hard to get at
- The boiler was in very good condition
It was restored between 1979 and 1984 for use on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway with some input from the Kent & East Sussex Railway volunteers. After being overhauled its owners decided that it would go on tour so it visited many railways before ending up at the Yorkshire Dales Railway.
6619 was subsequently purchased for the Kent & East Sussex Railway (K&ESR) and is owned by 6619 Ltd. It moved to the K&ESR in November 2012.
Following the expiry of the boiler certificate in January 2015 it is to be overhauled in 2017 at Rolvenden Works on the K&ESR. It is anticipated that the overhaul will take four years and will include the replacement of the Kylchap exhaust fitted whilst at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway to return the locomotive it was when built at Swindon.
Consideration is being given to it entering service in Great Western livery rather than the BR livery it has had for all of its life since being preserved.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Kent & East Sussex Railway||Under overhaul||6619 Ltd|