6634

6634 in Woodham's scrapyard at Barry March 1965.jpg

6634 was built at Swindon in 1928.

BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.

Date ArrivedDepot
January 1948Pontypool Road
December 1949Radyr
May 1951Pontypool Road

It was withdrawn in April 1964.

6634 is owned by The Waterman Railway Heritage Trust who purchased the locomotive in 1998.

In August 2009 the ‘rolling chassis’ arrived on the Severn Valley Railway (SVR) for restoration from ex-Barry condition to be completed. SVR News announced that the SVR had reached an agreement with the owners to complete the overhaul of the ‘bottom end’ while Crewe completed the repair of the boiler. The SVR would then bring the locomotive into use; with it being run on the SVR for ‘a period deemed fair by both parties’. The deal appeared favourable to the SVR as it would not involve the boiler shop or require space in the works on the jacks. Some work has been carried out since arrival, but the locomotive is currently in storage at Bridgnorth.

In Summer 2012 the boiler tubeplate was stolen from Crewe Heritage Centre with serious disruption to progress. As at February 2014 it was reported that there was no progress or commitment on the boiler and in July 2014 the SVR was seeking legal advice concerning the continued lack of progress in order to resolve this long running problem.

In May 2015 Peak Rail announced that agreement had been reached between Peak Rail and Pete Waterman that the Waterman Railway Heritage Trust locomotives.

At the end of 2016 the locomotive was still in storage awaiting an overhaul at Bridgnorth. In early 2018 the locomotive was moved to Peak Rail.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
Peak RailAwaiting restorationPete Waterman – Waterman Trust
6634 in Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry March 1965

6634 in Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry – c1982

Back to 5600 class

Back to GWR

Back to Locomotives