6686 was completed at Armstrong Whitworth of Newcastle in 1928.It spent almost all of its working like under BR ownership based at Duffryn Yard at Port Talbot.
Having arrived at Methyr in January 1964 from Duffryn Yard it was withdrawn from service in April 1964 and sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers.
The locomotive was one of the “Barry Ten” and is partially dismantled but essentially in scrapyard condition at the Barry Tourist Railway Centre. (The “Barry Ten” were the last unsold locomotives at Woodham Brothers in 1990 when Dai Woodham retired. They were taken on by the Vale of Glamorgan Council where they were stored for another twenty years in scrapyard condition before moving on). 6686 is still owned by the Vale of Glamorgan Council as part of the Barry Ten which the council. It is due to be restored for use on the Barry Island Railway.
In 2017 the Barry Tourist Railway purchased the original coupling rods for the locomotive from the Didcot Railway Centre’s stock of spare parts.
In December 2018 it was reported that the locomotive was in an early stage of restoration.
In December 2018 it was reported that the locomotive was in an early stage of restoration. The wheelsets had been removed and the frames were being needle-gunned and painted
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Barry Island Railway||Under restoration||Barry Tourist Railway Director, John Buxton|
|6686 at Rhymney – June 1964|