The locomotive was built in March 1944 at Swindon. Its first shed allocation was Old Oak Common. It acquired the name Raveningham Hall in June 1947.
BR motive power depot allocations.
|January 1948||Old Oak Common|
The locomotive was withdrawn from service at Oxford in June 1964 and sold to Woodham Brothers scrap yard. It arrived at the Barry scrapyard in February 1966.
A group of South Wales enthusiasts planned to purchase the locomotive but were unsuccessful in raising the funds required.
It was saved for preservation and left the yard in October 1972 having been sold to the directors of Steamtown at Carnforth. It moved to Carnforth in October of that year. Restoration was completed there in 1975.
Under the ownership of Brian Thomas 6960 was moved to the Severn Valley Railway (SVR) in May 1977. On the SVR it ran with 4930 Hagley Hall’s tender while its own was put behind 4930 until withdrawn from service in 1981. It was overhauled and returned to traffic in 1983 with a ten year boiler certificate which allowed 6960 to run until 1993..
It was moved to the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway in 1996 and it remained there until the boiler certificate expired 2003. The last duty it performed before withdrawal was to convey HRH The Princess Royal from Winchcombe to Cheltenham Racecourse in April 2003.
Following its withdrawal from service it was sent to the Flour Mill workshops in the Forest of Dean for an extensive overhaul. The overhaul was completed at Williton in November 2011. Whilst the work was being undertaken Jeremy Hosking purchased the locomotive in 2008.
In February 2017 the tender was sent to the First Great Western Bristo St Phillips Marsh depot to have its tyres turned.
During 2019 the locomotive operated on the Severn Valley Railway (SVR) as it was not able to operate on the West Somerset Railway due to restrictions on route availability on that line. In November 2019 the SVR announced that the locomotive would be staying on the SVR until the boiler certificate expires in 2021.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|West Somerset Railway||Operational||Jeremy Hoskings/Locomotive Services Ltd|
- 6984 Owsden Hall
- 6989 Wightwick Hall
- 6990 Witherslack Hall
- 6998 Buton Agnes Hall
- 7903 Foremarke Hall
- 7927 Willington Hall