7202 was originally built as 5277, at a cost of £4380 in 1930, but due to the depression and decline in coal traffic at that time it was promptly put in store. 5277 was taken out of store in 1931 to have ATC fitted and then returned to store. During 1934 5277 was taken out of store again, and this time converted to 7202, the total cost of the conversion and fitting of ATC came to £200. 5277 ran a total of 974 miles, which was probably for running purposes around the Swindon area. From new the engine was fitted with boiler number C5248, this cost £993, giving a total cost for 7202 of £5573.
In January 1948 when the railway was nationalised 7202 was based at Severn Tunnel Junction. In March 1948 it moved to Radyr shed where it remained until September 1962 when it went to its final base at Barry from where it was withdrawn from service in June 1964.
During it life 7202 ran a total of 641,881 miles and following being withdrawn in 1964 went to Barry scrap yard to await its fate.
In 1973 the Great Western Society purchased the engine and was one of the last batch of engines to leave Barry by rail in 1974. Once at Didcot Railway Centre not much was done, except some preventative maintenance, until a group started to do a cosmetic restoration.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Didcot Railway Centre||Under restoration||Great Western Society|
|7202 at Woodham’s scrapyard at Barry – March 1965|
|7202 under restoration at Didcot-2011|