7752 was built by the North British Locomotive Company Ltd, Glasgow in November 1930 for the Great Western Railway Company. Delivered to Swindon factory, 7752 started life at Aberdare, where it was based until May 1934 when it was recalled to Swindon Works for a general repair. The repair was finished in August after which it was allocated to Newport until August 1938 when another visit to Swindon was required.
From August 1938 until 1943, 7752 stayed in the Newport area, apart from a short visit to Caerphilly works in 1942. From August 1943 until 1946, 7752 was allocated to Aberbeeg and Aberdare sheds when, in November 1946 it moved to Tondu. 7752 was based at Tondu from 1946 until December 1951, apart from a short visit to Caerphilly works for repair.
From December 1951 until May 1952, 7752 was put in store, presumably at Tondu. Reinstated at Tondu on 24 May 1952, 7752 went to Caerphilly works for a heavy general repair, after which it returned to Tondu for the rest of its BR life, except the occasional foray to Caerphilly works for repairs.
Sold to the London Transport Executive on 4th November 1959, 7752 acquired London Transport livery and the number L94. It hauled the last steam train on ‘The Met’ on 6th June 1971 and in so doing featured on the 10 o’clock news and on the front page of the Daily Telegraph. It was immediately bought by 7029 Clun Castle Ltd., after 12 years working engineering trains on London Transport and is certified for mainline operation. Howeve,r it did appear at the June 1971 Tyseley Open Day in London Transport livery and was outshopped again in this livery in 2011 to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the last run on London Underground.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Tyseley||Operational||7029 Clun Castle Ltd|
|7752 as L94 at Tyseley-1971|
|7752 as L94 at Tyseley-2011|