7808 Cookham Manor

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 7808-cookham-manor-at-didcot-may-2007.jpg

It was built in 1938 at Swindon Works at a cost of £3,986 excluding the tender, withdrawn from service in December 1965 and purchased directly from British Railways for preservation by a member of the Great Western Society in 1965-66. Cookham Manor was the only locomotive in the Manor class to have been bought directly from BR. Initially it was stored at Ashchurch, until moving to Didcot in August 1970.

Motive power depot allocations.

Date ArrivedDepot
March 1938Old Oak common
April 1939Gloucester
April 1946Oswestry
December 1953St Phillips Marsh
December 1954Gloucester
June 1959Newton Abbot
September 1960Exeter
October 1960Worcester
December 1960Tyseley
September 1962Reading
August 1964Swindon
November 1964Gloucester

It was said to be considered highly by the crews that operated her, and unusually for her class, the engine was fitted with a larger 4000 gallon water tender.

The locomotive saw considerable main line use whilst in preservation, but it is currently in static preservation status awaiting a major overhaul at Didcot Railway Centre.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
Didcot Railway CentreOn static display awaiting major overhaul
7808 Cookham Manor at Tilehurst – July 1963
7808 Cookham Manor at Gloucester – May 1966
7808 Cookham Manor at Paddington – June 1964
7808 Cookham Manor at Taplow Open Day – September 1966
7808 Cookham Manor at Bristol Bath Road Open Day – October 1967
7808 Cookham Manor at Tyseley – September 1969
7808 Cookham Manor at Didcot – May 2007
7808 Cookham Manor at Didcot – January 2011
7808 Cookham Manor at Didcot – September 2012

Back to 7800 class

Back to GWR

Back to Locomotives