This locomotive was built by North British Locomotive Co Ltd in 1942 for the War Department and became WD554.
It was then loaned by the Ministry of Supply to the LMS (but never given an LMS number) before being converted to RH drive and shipped to Turkey in 1943. It remained in use there until the 1980s. It had its last overhaul at Sivas in May 1984 less than two years before steam operations ceased in Turkey in 1986.
Recovered from Sivas in December 2010 by the Churchill 8F Trust. It was towed along with TCCD 45166 the 850 miles from Silvas to Izmir from where it was shipped to Portbury Docks .
Recently purchased for £120,000, payable over three years, by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society from John Oldcorn who put the engine up for sale in February 2014. The engine moved to the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway in November 2014.
The locomotive was in the Museum and was cosmetically restored whilst funds were raised to restore the locomotive. In late 2017 the locomotive was moved into the works to enable the overhaul to commence.
The locomotive is to be officially named Sir William McAlpine in April 2019, in tribute to the late president of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society who died in March 2018.
In November 2019 it was revealed that the locomotive would revert to its original identity as WD 554 when its restoration was complete.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway||On static display||Scottish Preservation Society|
- 48151 (LMS 8151 & BR 48151)
- 48173 (LMS 8173 & BR 48173)
- 48305 (LMS 8303 & BR 48305)
- 48431 (LMS 8431 & BR 48431)
- 48518 (LMS 8518 & BR 48518)
- 48624 (LMS 8624 & BR 48624)
- 48773 (WD 307, LMS 8233, Iranian State Rly 41.109, WD 70307, WD 500 & BR 48773)
- TCCD 45160 (WD 70348, LMS 8274 & TCCD 45160)
- Preserved Overseas – TCCD 45161, TCCD 45166 & TCCD 45168