80135 was built at Brighton in April 1956. It was initially based on the Eastern Region working on the London, Tilbury and Southend Line (LT&S) hauling commuter services out of London until that route was electrified in 1962.
It spent time under the management of three different regions whilst in Service with BR. It moved from the Eastern to Western Region in 1962 and in September 1963 it was transferred to the London Midland when Oswestry depot were transferred to the London Midland from the Western Region.
Motive power depot allocations.
80135 was withdrawn from service in July 1965 and sold to Woodham Brothers for scrap. It entered the scrapyard at Barry in January 1966 and stayed there until April 1973 when it left to go to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) at Pickering.
It was bought by Jos de Crau, who financed its restoration in the NYMR workshops.
As part of the restoration of the locomotive a new firebox was made of steel which subsequently proved troublesome and was it was later replaced with a conventional copper firebox.
It was withdrawn from traffic on the NYMR in July 1992 for a full overhaul following a succession of tube failures. After an insurance inspection, permission was given to extend the boiler life by a year on condition that all the small tubes were replaced and a full overhaul commenced in 1994.
The engine returned to service in February 1999 and ran on the Main line to Whitby in May of that year.
80135 is now owned by the NYMR and is currently undergoing overhaul at Grosmont.
80135 is the only Standard 4MT to carry lined BR Brunswick Green, a livery not carried by any 4MT’s in BR service.
It is possible that 80135 will return to steam at the end of 2017.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|North Yorkshire Moors Railway||Under overhaul||North Yorkshire Moors Railway|