80136 was built at Brighton in May 1956. It was initially based on the Eastern Region working on the London, Tilbury and Southend Line (LT&S) hauling commuter services out of London until that route was electrified in 1962.
It spent time under the management of three different regions whilst in Service with BR. It moved from the Eastern to Western Region in 1962 and in September 1963 it was transferred to the London Midland when Machynlleth (along with Oswestry and Shrewsbury) depot were transferred to the London Midland from the Western Region.
Motive power depot allocations.
80136 was withdrawn in July 1965 and sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers at Barry. It arrived in the scrapyard in June 1966 and stayed there until April 1979.
It was restored on the Churnet Valley Railway where it steamed again around 1990.
By 2001 it was to be found on the West Somerset Railway where it was withdrawn from service in 2008 when its boiler certificate expired. It subsequently went to Crewe Heritage Centre for overhaul but after languishing there for a number of years moved (the boiler and chasis were moved separately) to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway in early 2016.
It is now planned to base the locomotive on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway where it is being overhauled. It will initially be based there for ten years.
Churnet Valley Railway – under restoration June 1980 – North Staffordshire Railway, 26/03/1989
British Railways Standard 2-6-4T no.80136 on the West Somerset Railway in 2007
Gala there in October 2006, December 2004
Boiler ticket expired in 2008 the locomotive was overhauled on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. It returned to steam there in August 2016. It is planned that 80136 will remain on the NYMR for ten years.
Late in 2017 the locomotive was fitted with new piston and valve rings as well as having some work done on its valve gear.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|North Yorkshire Moors Railway||Operational||North Yorkshire Moors Railway|