921 Powesland & Mason 0-4-0ST

921

Power ClassificationUnclassified
Introduced1906
Designer
CompanyPowlesland & Mason
Weight24t 17cwt
Driving Wheels3ft 6ins
Boiler Pressure140 psi
Cylinders14in  x 20 in
Tractive Effort11,110 lbf
Valve GearStephenson (slide valve)

Powlesland and Mason were a company that provided steam locomotives and crews for shunting within Swansea Docks. The first name sometimes been spelt “Powesland” and it is uncertain which spelling is correct. They utilised a fleet of nine 0-4-0ST locomotives, which had been built between 1874 and 1916, for duties within the docks.

The P&M engines had been built by five different firms of locomotive constructors: Peckett and Sons (4); Brush Electrical (2); Avonside (1); Andrew Barclay (1); and Hawthorn Leslie and Company (1). The locomotive built by Andrew Barclay was the oldest and was a former Raven Class broad guage locomotive constructed for the South Devon Railway Company in 1874 from where it had been sold by the GWR to Powlesland & Mason in 1906.

These locomotives passed into the GWR on Grouping in 1921 and four survived into BR stock. The first was withdrawn in 1927 but two remained at Swansea East Dock until the early 1960s (1961 and 1963)

Preservation

GWR 921 (GWR 921 & P&M 6)

Brush 921 Snibson Discovery Park Oct 2010.jpg

GWR 921 (P&M no 6) was built in 1906 by Brush and worked at Swansea Harbour until withdrawn in 1928 and sold the following year to a private operator for further service.

GWR 921 (P&M no 6) was built in 1906 by Brush and worked at Swansea Harbour. In 1924 the GWR took control of shunting operations at Swansea Docks and thus the locomotive passed into GWR ownership. It then managed to acquire a Swindon-style safety valve bonnet which it still retains.

In September 1928 the locomotive was sold to Berry Wiggins & Co Ltd who were based in Kingsnorth in Kent.

The locomotive was withdrawn in 1964 and presented to Leicester Museum of Technology in 1968.

In 2018 plans to redevelop the site of the Snibson Discovery Centre included building 140 houses on the site and would result in the locomotive being fenced off away from public access.

In 1992 it was exhibited at the Snibson Discovery Museum at Coalville until the attraction closed in 2015 after which the locomotive vanished from regular public view.

In 2018 plans to redevelop the site of the Snibson Discovery Centre included building 140 houses on the site and would result in the locomotive being fenced off away from public access.

In March 2019 it was reported that the locomotive would go on display at the newly expanded railway museum at Mountsorrel. It was confirmed that the ownership of the locomotive would remain with Leicestershire County Council.

In May 2019 the locomotive moved to the Mountsorrel Railway Museum near Loughborough.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
Mountsorrel and Rothley heritage centre Leicestershire Static displayLeicestershire County Council
Brush 921 Snibson Discovery Park Oct 2010.jpg
921 at Snibson Discovery Park – October 2010

Back to GWR

Back to Locomotives