92214 was built at Swindon in October 1959.
Motive power depot allocations.
|October 1959||Cardiff Canton|
|November 1961||Ebbw Junction|
|July 1964||Severn Tunnel Junction|
It was withdrawn from service in August 1965 and sold as scrap to Woodham Brothers. It arrived in the scrapyard at Barry in October 1965 and remained there until December 1980 when it went to the Buxton when it was purchased by the Peak Railway Society.
It was still in a very poor condition at Buxton in 1989 but it was later purchased by the 92214 Locomotive Group and moved to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley where it was restored.
92214 was hired to the East Lancashire Railway between 2006 and 2008.
In 2010 it was then purchased by PV Premier Ltd, a Grosmont based company owned by Stuart Whitter who had been a driver on the Great Central Railway (GCR). Following the transfer in ownership the locomotive was moved to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
After an extensive winter maintenance programme 92214 returned to traffic in the summer of 2011. The following winter more extensive repair and maintenance was carried out and the locomotive again returned to traffic for the summer of 2012.
A ten-year boiler overhaul was completed over 2012/13 and the locomotive passed an insurance test in June 2013 and gained a full ten-year boiler ticket.
In January 2014 it was announced that the GCR Director (Mr Michael Gregory of Cromwell Tools) had purchased 92214 from Mr Stuart Whitter of PV Premier Ltd for dedicated use on the GCR.
Earlier in its preservation history it carried the name Cock o’ the North for a short time. In more recent times it has been named Cromwell and Central Star and also run as 92220 Evening Star with the agreement of the National Railway Museum. It is believed that it will now carry the name Central Star although it has recently borne the name Leicester City after the football team won the Premier League title.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Great Central Railway||Operational||Michael Gregory|