92240 was built at Crewe in October 1958.
Motive power depot allocations.
|October 1958||Ebbw Junction|
|November 1958||Old Oak Common|
It was withdrawn from service in August 1965 and sold as scrap to Woodham Brothers at Barry. It entered the scrapyard there in October 1965 and remained there until October 1978 following it being purchased by some members of the Bluebell Railways locomotive department.
In 1990 it became the first of the class rescued from Barry to be restored to traffic when it returned to steam on the Bluebell Railway.
As part of the restoration a tender for the locomotive was constructed at the workshops on the Bluebell Railway. This was done using an underframe salvaged from the Duport steelworks at Briton Ferry who had purchased tenders from Woodham Brothers for use at the steelworks. Although the engine was attached to a BR1G tender whilst in service with BR it was decided to replicate a BR1C type tender as two BR1G tenders were already preserved.
A few years after its initial return to traffic a number of boiler stays were found to need replacement, and the opportunity was taken in 2002 to re-certificate the boiler for a new ten-year period at that time.
In spite of its size and power, it is an economical locomotive to run, and is much better suited to running at the 25mph speed limit on the Bluebell Railway than an express locomotive.
It has now been withdrawn from service (slightly before the end of its boiler certificate) due to the deteriorating condition of its tubes, with work also likely to be required on the firebox and front tubeplate.
After many years awaiting overhaul on public view in the locomotive shed at Sheffield Park, it moved in September 2009 to be on static display at platform 1 at Horsted Keynes. At the moment there are no plans for its restoration.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Bluebell Railway||On static display||Bluebell Railway|