|Designer||J C Park|
|Company||Great Norther Railway|
|Driving Wheels||5ft 0ins|
|Cylinders||Inside – 16in x 22in (later 16½in x 22in)|
Six JT class locomotives were built at the Dundalk works of the Great Northern Railway between 1895 and 1902. They were designed by J C Park, who had been trained at Doncaster, but were not introduced until after his death earlier in 1895.
The locomotives were rebuilt between 1917 and 1925 with improved boilers and standard 16½in x 22in cylinders.
The locomotives were used on the Dublin suburban services and then on branch lines including the Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway when it was taken over in 1933.
Most of the JT class engines were withdrawn from service between 1955 and 1957 but one (91 Tulip) survived under Córas Iompair Éireann (CIÉ) ownership until 1963.
One member of the class has been preserved. This is 93 Sutton which was built in 1895 as the first member of the class to be build and one of the first to be withdrawn in 1955. It was never fitted with enlarged cylinders and a 140psi boiler.
The locomotive is now on static display at the Ulster Transport Museum in Belfast.