9466 was built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn Ltd and was towed from Darlington to Swindon in 1952. It was initially allocated to Gloucester depot in February 1952 but in March of that year it moved to Worcester where it was used on pilot work as well as shunting and on local passenger and freight duties. It stayed at Worcester for nine years after which it was overhauled at Wolverhampton Stafford Road and then transferred to Bristol (St Phillips Marsh) in 1961.
Towards the end of its working life 9466 also saw service at Tondu depot from June 1962 and Radyr shed a year later. Duties at these sheds were similar and comprised trip work and yard shunting. These activities were taken over by diesel motive power in the form of 350hp shunters and class 37s. 9466 was withdrawn for scrap in June 1964 after a working life of less than 12 years and sold to Woodham Brothers. It spent 11 years at Woodham Brothers before moving to Quainton in September 1975. It was bought in 1977 by Dennis Howells who still owns the locomotive.
The original restoration took 8 years to achieve. Since then it has visited many heritage railways and has worked special steam trains for London Underground.
9466 had its first 7 year overhaul at London Transport’s Ruislip Depot in late 1993/early 1994. Its second 7 year overhaul was completed at London Underground Neasden Depot in 2004, after which 9466 returned to Quainton.
During 2006 it was fitted with Train Protection and Warning System and On Train Monitoring and Recording systems which are mandatory for mainline working. Following recertification at Tyseley for mainline running 9466 has hauled a number of trains on the main line during 2006 – 2009.
9466 has continued to visit heritage railways and work on the London Underground.
The boiler certificate expired in October 2013 but a one year extension was approved after which 9466 was taken out of service for overhaul.
By May 2014 the tanks and boiler lagging etc had been removed. The boiler has had its firebox foundation rivets renewed, and the internal steam pipe repaired. The motion has been reassembled. The out of frames steam test was completed successfully in December 2015, with the boiler replaced in the frames later that month. In April 2016 the locomotive completed its steam trials at Quainton.
9466 is main line certified and based at Tyseley.
The private owner of the locomotive died in 2018 and his family subsequently decided to put it up for sale as they believed that they did not have the necessary skills and knowledge to keep the engine running.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|