9642 was built at Swindon in 1946.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|December 1949||Weymouth (stored from September 1956)|
|May 1958||St Philips Marsh|
|July 1964||Old Oak Common|
9642 was withdrawn in November 1964 and sent to Hayes Scrapyard, but was used to shunt other locomotives. It was due to be scrapped in 1967 but was saved by the South Wales Pannier Group in 1968 and moved to Maesteg Colliery where it gave occasional brake van rides over the NCB track in the 1970s following being steamed again in 1969.
It was the first of the class to be preserved. It was later moved to the Swansea Valley Railway Society, and then the Dean Forest Railway in 1998.
In 2005, 9642 was bought privately for use on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. It was soon removed for overhaul and will return to operation when restoration is complete.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway||Under overhaul||Privately owned|