This locomotive Works No 1572 was built by Andrew Barclay following the placing of an order for four locomotives by the Ministry of Munitions. It was delivered to the site at Queensferry near Chester in January 1918. One other (works No 1571) of this batch which was delivered to the Nobel Explosives Ltd at Irvine.is also been preserved.
It was a fireless locomotive which means that it had a steam accumulator rather than a boiler and was charged up with steam from a stationary boiler. It also meant that there was no chance of it starting a fire.
1572 had 14½ inch x 18 inch outside cylinders and 3 feet diameter driving wheels.
The Queensferry explosives factory was established on the site of a disused boiler works. It had been acquired by the government in 194 to be used as a prisoner of war camp but was soon developed into a huge munition production plant. Nitrocellulose, tetryl and TNT were manufactured there. The work was dangerous and there were many accidents. Consequently, the site had its own hospital and between 1916 and 1917, it treated 19,000 people (presumably some more than once).
During its maximum production period there were seven thousand employees, three thousand of whom were women. Six hundred workers were police, welfare and medical staff. In order to transport workers to the plant, 24 hours a day and seven days a week, special railway facilities were developed including a station at the factory gates. In addition, there was a fleet of 16 motorised buses transporting workers back and forth from local towns.
Following it no longer being required at Queensferry the locomotive was sold to Lever Brothers Ltd, Port Sunlight, but by December 1924 sold again to Lancaster Power Station and was named Lancaster. The power station sidings in Lancaster were on either side of the Lancaster Canal embankment and connected via a line under an aqueduct. The locomotive worked here (together with Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F Works No 1950 which is also preserved).
Following the closure of Lancaster Power Station in 1981 the locomotive was acquired by Nuclear Electric to work at Heysham nuclear power station.
Upon the closure of the power station in 1981 the locomotive was acquired by Nuclear Electric and worked alongside a smaller fireless engine which had also acquired from Lancaster power station. At Heysham it shunted flask wagons until replaced by a battery electric locomotive.
The locomotive is now based at the West Coast Railway facility at Carnforth.