This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1918 and was used at the former Dalmellington Iron Company.
Coal and ironstone mining was started in the Doon Valley by the Dalmellington Iron Company in 1848.
The company based its operations at Dunaskin, and operated eight furnaces which worked day and night, producing pig iron and providing employment for up to 1,400 people until iron production ceased in 1921. A brickwork, the remains of which can still be seen, replaced the furnaces and delivered building bricks until 1976.
Production of coal continued at various collieries until 1978. When the collieries finally closed, the steam worked railway linking them with the British Rail line from Ayr at Dunaskin was also closed.
It was later employed by the National Coal Board as NCB No 19.
It is currently undergoing cosmetic restoration at at Dunaskin.