|Driving Wheels||3ft 0ins|
|Cylinders||Outside – 11in x 18in|
This three ton crane tank locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1925 and spent all of its industrial working life at Stanton and Staveley’s Ridding works. It was employed on shunting and lifting duties around the site until 1967.
Stanton Ironworks was started in 1846 by a Chesterfield man, Benjamin Smith and his son Josiah Timmis Smith, who brought three blast-furnaces into production alongside the banks of the Nutbrook Canal. It became the Stanton Ironworks Company Ltd in 1900.
The company was eventually taken over by Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd and was merged with the Staveley Iron and Chemical Company Ltd in 1960 to form Stanton and Staveley. In 1967, along with the other parts of Stewarts and Lloyds, it became part of the nationalised British Steel Corporation.
The ironworks was once Ilkeston’s largest manufacturing concern and at its height as part of British Steel Corporation 7,000 people worked at the Stanton works. The plant closed in May 2007.
The locomotive was purchased for preservation in 1971 and has been based at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley ever since. It was restored at used on a variety of lifting jobs there.
It is now on static display inside the Matthew Kirtley Museum at the Midland Railway Centre.
||1875 at Swanwick Junction at the Midland Railway Centre – January 2016|