This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1927 as one of three locomotives built for the sugar beet industry. While its sisters were despatched elsewhere, 1931 was delivered to the Foley Park works of the West Midlands Beet Sugar Co. and worked into exchange siding now forming part of the Severn Valley Railway.
After a short stay at Wissington Railway deep in the fens, the locomotive was sent to the now demolished Spalding Beet Factory where it worked with No.1932 until around 1972.
Purchased for preservation as part of a scheme for the recently closed Buckminster Quarries.
The scheme did not succeed and 1931 became one of the first three locomotives to arrive at what is now Rocks by Rail (formerly Rutland Railway Museum) and has been a resident at Cottesmore since 1975.
Restoration was completed in 2008 and is now a popular performer at the Museum in an authentic livery matching.
|1931 – November 2009|