This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay and delivered new in October 1930 to the North Metropolitan Power Station Co Ltd at Brimsdown power stations.
It was a fireless locomotive which means that it had a steam accumulator rather than a boiler and was charged up with steam from a stationary boiler. It also meant that there was no chance of it starting a fire.
It had 14½ inch x 18 inch outside cylinders and 3 feet diameter driving wheels.
The locomotive was given the name Lord Ashfield. He was born Albert Henry Knattriess and was a British-American businessman who amongst other roles was managing director, then chairman of the Underground Electric Railways Company of London from 1910 to 1933 and chairman of the London Passenger Transport Board from 1933 to 1947.
Brimsdown power stations were in the London borough of Enfield, on the Lea Navigation. The first station was brought into operation between 1904 and 1907 before being officially opened in 1907. It was used primarily to supply the local tramways. The station was extended between 1924 and 1955, supplying power to the wider area of Enfield and Essex. Coal was supplied by barge or by rail.
In 1948 Britain’s electricity supply industry was nationalised under the Electricity Act 1947 and Brimsdown Power Station became part of the British Electricity Authority (BEA). The BEA was succeeded by the Central Electricity Authority in 1955 and the Central Electricity Generating Board in 1958. The CEGB decommissioned both stations in 1976.
In 1975 the locomotive was transferred by the CEGB to the Fleetwood Power Station in Lancashire.
It later became the property of the Museum of Science & Industry at Manchester. It was restored there and ran under its own power during the 1990s. Th museum donated it to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society at the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway in 2005.
The locomotive is currently being restored.