This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1934 and initially operated as No.9 with Edinburgh Collieries Ltd.
It was later used at the Bilston Glen Colliery in Midlothian, to the south of Edinburgh, which was one of the National Coal Board’s (NCB) most successful superpit developments. It was designed to go much deeper than neighbouring mines into the Midlothian coalfield basin, exploiting the limestone coals, with an intended output of 1 million tons per annum. Work started on the pit in 1952 and production of coal commenced in 1963. Bilston Glen witnessed some of the most bitter scenes of unrest in Scotland during the miners strike of 1984. The colliery closed in 1988.
The locomotive then spent many years on display in Pittencrieff Park in Dunfermline. It was removed from the park inby the 2011 to allow work on the park to be undertaken. The park’s £1.6million transformation was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund with matching support from the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust and Fife Council.
The locomotive was refurbished at a cost of £23,000 by Shed 47 Railway Restoration Group at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum in Lathalmond. The work entailed cleaning with a pressure washer, welding repairs to the tank, and sealing up the smokebox and funnel to prevent a recurrence of it being used as a receptacle for lemonade cans and bottles.
The locomotive is now back on display in Pittencrieff Park in Dunfermline.
|1996 at Pittencrieff Park – May 2011|