This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay and delivered new in May 1942 to Castle Mead Power Station at Gloucester where it carried the No 1.
It was a fireless locomotive which means that it had a steam accumulator rather than a boiler and was charged up with steam from a stationary boiler. It also meant that there was no chance of it starting a fire.
It had 15 inch x 18 inch outside cylinders and 3 feet driving wheels.
Castle Mead was one of two emergency power station constructed in Britain after the start of the Second World War. Castle Mead was a coal fired power station which was built on Alney Island in the River Severn at Gloucester. The first of two 20MW sets started producing in December 1942.
The locomotive initially shunted coal wagons from the wharf by the river near Gloucester lock where the power station fuel was unloaded from coasters using a steam crane.
In later years coal came to the power station via the main railway system, and the locomotive was used to shunt wagons around the site. When the power supply companies were nationalised, the locomotive came under the ownership of the new British Electric Authority and was repainted green rather than regulation wartime austerity grey.
The locomotive was used at Castle Mead until 1969 when the plant closed.
The locomotive was then donated to the Dowty Railway Preservation Society at Ashchurch in 1973 for preservation. It later stood at Toddington on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway.
The National Waterways Museum obtained it in 1988 to return it close to its former workplace at the British Waterways Museum at Gloucester Docks. The Friends of the Museum spent many hours working on the restoration which was completed by Dorothea Restoration Engineers of Whaley Bridge.
The locomotive is now stored off site at the Vale of Berkeley Railway.