This locomotive was built in 1943, to a Hunslet Engine Company design, by Andrew Barclay for the Ministry of Defence. It then entered service as WD71529.
See LNER class J94 for details.
It worked at EG Steels of Hamilton until being bought in 1964 by the Wemyss Private Railway (WPR) where in entered service in February 1965. Here it ran as WPR No 15.
In 1970 the locomotive was overhauled by Andrew Barclay at Kilmarnock.
When the WPR closed in June 1970 the locomotive was sold to T Muir’s Scrap Yard, Kirkcaldy where it remained until 2003 when it was bought for preservation by Andrew Goodman and moved to the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway (GWR).
It was returned to steam on the GWR in December 2007. It was at the GWR that the locomotive acquired the name Earl David.
Two years later the locomotive moved to the East Lancashire Railway where it ran until for a short time before being withdrawn from service when it developed a hot big end. Repairs were undertaken by the owners and following a successful steam test Earl David entered traffic again on the East Lancashire Railway. The other side of the engine then ran warm and during a routine inspection a water leak from the firebox was observed. On removing the grate it was discovered that there was cracking to the inner firebox and the locomotive was again withdrawn from traffic.
Repairs to the locomotive were completed in 2013 when the locomotive became operational on the Avon Valley Railway.
In late 2018 it was reported that the locomotive was undergoing boiler repairs at the Vale of Berkeley Railway. A new firebox tubeplate was made for the engine by the South Devon Railway.
|Earl David at Bury on the East Lancashire Railway-2009|