This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay and delivered new in July 1948 to B Laporte Ltd in Luton where it carried the No 2.
It was a fireless locomotive which means that it had a steam accumulator rather than a boiler and was charged up with steam from a stationary boiler. It also meant that there was no chance of it starting a fire.
It had 15 inch x 18 inch outside cylinders and 3 feet driving wheels. It had a tractive effort of 15,300lbf, a boiler pressure of 160psi and weighed 21t 0cwt.
The locomotive spent all of its working life at the Laporte plant at Luton apart from a period between 1958 and 1960 when it was loaned to the Laporte factory at Warrington.
When it was withdrawn from service in 1972 the locomotive was donated to the Quainton Railway Society by the company. It arrived at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre in November 1972.
The locomotive was on static display until the new owners solved the problem of steaming a fireless locomotive away from its natural environment. Laporte once more assisted and sponsored the restoration of the locomotive.
It was occasionally steamed during major events and on enthusiasts days, during the 1990s. On these occasions its was charged using locomotive North British Works No 24564 Coventry No. 1 to supply the steam. The locomotive has not operated since then.