2244 was built by Andrew Barclay in 1947 and spent all of its working life at Dunaskin (apart from a short spell after Pennyvenie) closed which is now The Scottish Industrial Railway Centre.
The Dalmellington Iron Company based its operations at Dunaskin, and operated eight furnaces which worked day and night, producing pig iron and providing employment for up to 1,400 people until iron production ceased in 1921. A brickwork, the remains of which can still be seen, replaced the furnaces and delivered building bricks until 1976.
Production of coal continued at various collieries until 1978. When the collieries finally closed, the steam worked railway linking them with the British Rail line from Ayr at Dunaskin was also closed. Given its importance, the site was operated by the Dalmellington and District Conservation Trust until it ceased trading in 2005.
Since then, the Ayshire Railway Preservation Group (ARPG) have operated much of the site, restoring, maintaining and exhibiting a number of standard gauge steam and diesel locomotives, rolling stock, narrow gauge items and a large collection of photographs and memorabilia.
During 2015, ARPG purchased the Locomotive Shed, Wagon Repair Shops, Station and some land. The purchase was assisted by funding from East Ayrshire Council and Cumnock & Doon Valley Minerals Trust.
The locomotive was fully restored and with a replacement boiler, the locomotive was the Group’s regular working engine.
The locomotive was taken out of service in 2020 but it is anticipated that it will be overhauled and back in traffic quickly.