Albert was built in 1948 by Andrew Barclay for the British Sugar Corporation, and worked at their Worcester & Somerset plants.
After finishing its industrial use the locomotive spent time at the Nene Valley Railway and the East Kent Railway before being privately purchased and moving to the Plym Valley Railway in 2004.
The locomotive was sent to Portland for repairs and returned to the Plym Valley Railway in 2007. It was returned to steam in 2009 with a boiler certificate valid until 2017.
The locomotive then underwent an overhaul which saw the boiler returned to the frames in August 2018 at the Plym Valley Railway.