This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in Kilmarnock in 1949 for the National Coal Board for work in the Fife area. It was first deployed at Tillicoultry Colliery later that year but was noted at Devon Colliery in 1950.
It is one of the Fife class 16in locomotives which had a 7ft wheelbase and a large boiler capacity. The injectors fitted to this class were combination backhead as opposed to the standard Andrew Barclay Caledonia hot water flood injectors normally provided. The Fife class were specified by the NCB Scottish Division Fife Area mechanical engineer in 1948 and the specification was derived from an AB locomotive (Andrew Barclay 2096) that was supplied to the Fife Coal Company in 1940 for use at their new Comrie Colliery in West Fife.
Around 1959 the locomotive was transferred to Manor Powis Colliery before going to Alloa Central Workshops for an overhaul in 1963. After the overhaul it appears to have been deployed at Blairhall Colliery.
In August 1971 the locomotive was sent to Cowdenbeath Central Workshops for assessment for further use and overhaul. Following its overhaul it was sent to Cardowan Colliery at Stepps to the east of the Glasgow city boundary. The locomotive finished its working life there. It was only used once or twice a year when the diesel pug, which was employed there from 1966 onwards, was undergoing maintenance.
Cardowan Colliery was the last deep mine in Lanarkshire and some of the underground workings were still extracting coal from underneath parts of the city of Glasgow when coal winding ceased in 1983.
The locomotive was cosmetically restored and placed on display at Dunaskin which is the base of the Ayshire Railway Preservation Group (ARPG). In November 2018 the locomotive was taken into the works at Dunaskin in order to assess it for restoration.
By the summer of 2020 the locomotive was being restored at Dunaskin.