This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1949 and was delivered new to the National Coal Board (NCB) Springwell Bank Foot locomotive shed where it became Bowes No 22.
After working four years at the Jarrow end of the Bowes Railway it was transferred to pits in the Durham Coalfield.
In July 1954 it moved to East Tanfield Colliery. From there it was loaned to the Tanfield Lea Colliery in October/November 1957 and April 1958.
In November 1959 it was moved to the Bowes Marley Hill shed where it operated as the Burnopfield pilot until August 1968.
The locomotive was then transferred to the St. Anthony’s Tar Works in Newcastle upon Tyne. It did little work there, and none at all after 1973.
In 1976 it was loaned to the Bowes Railway who subsequently purchased it.
The locomotive was taken out of service in June 2017 when its boiler certificate expired.