This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1954 to a design which became associated with ironstone quarrying by Stewarts & Lloyds (Minerals) Ltd in the Lincolnshire and Leicestershire areas. It was delivered new to their Harston site where the locomotive was named after the nearby Belvoir Castle. Harston locomotive shed was located in the heart of the Woolsthorpe Quarry system (Near Grantham) and this locomotive spent its working life in that area.
When steam became redundant as part of the contraction of the industry in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. In January 1972 the locomotive moved to the East Anglian Railway Museum at Chapel & Wakes Colne Station in Essex. After working for a number of years the private owner donated the locomotive to the museum on the basis that it would be restored there in due course.
In 2008 the East Anglia Railway Museum and the Rutland Railway Museum worked together as part of a shared aim to concentrate on their chosen core collections ambitions. This led to the museums reviewing their stock of locomotives and the private owner of the locomotive decided that it should move to the Rutland Railway Museum.
The locomotive is currently stored awaiting restoration work commencing.