This locomotive was built by Avonside Engine Company at Bristol in 1904 for the Mersey Docks & Harbour Railway (MD&HR) at Liverpool.
Special features incorporated for use on the docks included a spark arrestor on the chimney to reduce the fire risk, and a warning bell fitted to the driving mechanism which would ring whenever the locomotive was in motion.
It worked on the docks at Liverpool until 1966.
Following its withdrwal from service it was presented to the Museum by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.
It is at Bootle in the Vehicle Workshop of the National Museum of Liverpool but is not on display to the public.