This locomotive was built by Avonside Engine Company in 1918 for the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board at Liverpool where it was given the number 26.
The Mersey Docks and Harbour Board (MDHB), owned and administered the dock facilities of the Port of Liverpool, on the River Mersey. They included the operation of the enclosed northern dock system that ran from Princes Dock to Seaforth Dock, in the city of Liverpool.
The Mersey Docks and Harbour Board took over running of Liverpool’s docks from the Trustees in 1858. The need for Liverpool Corporation to divest its dock interests to a new public body was as a result of pressure from parliament, dock merchants and some rival port operators.
At one point the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board railway totalled 104 miles (166 km) of line, with connections to many other railways. A section of the line ran, unsegregated from other road traffic, along the dock road. Today only the Canada Dock Branch is used.
After withdrawal from service the locomotive was intended to become the main engine at the Fleetwood Loco Centre. Work was carried out on the restoration of the chassis and running gear at Fleetwood but the task was not completed.
It then spent some years in a play area in Skelmersdale.
It moved to the Ribble Steam Railway in March 2002 and was placed in the workshops to prevent further deterioration to the work already carried out.
When work does re-start on the locomotive, it is possible that some components from sister locomotive Lucy may be used to assist a speedier return to traffic.
|1810 at Digmoor Shopping Parade Play Area in Skelmersdale – August 1975|