This locomotive was built by Black, Hawthorn & Co in 1887 at a cost of £875.
It was built for Corporation of Aberdeen Gas Department to work at the Aberdeen Gas Works. Its role was to transport coal from the harbour from the gas works. As this was along public streets the locomotive was fitted with motion skirts to cover the working parts for safety reasons.
The Scottish Gas Board took over the works in May 1949.
As coal traffic increased it shared duties with four other steam locomotives (three of which are now also preserved), and continued in use until the late 1950s.
City of Aberdeen was restored to working order in 1967 but the Gas Works rail connection was closed in 1971 when the manufacture of gas from coal ceased.
In 1972 the locomotive was donated, by what was by then, the British Gas Corporation, Scottish Region to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society (SRPS).
The works were demolished in 1975 put the locomotive remained there until it was moved to the SRPS depot at Falkirk in 1977. Restoration of the locomotive started whilst it was still at Aberdeen and was completed at Falkirk.
By January 1989 the locomotive had been moved to the SRPS site at the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway.
In May 2006 it was moved to the Tanfield Railway at Marley Hill where was is stored before returning to the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway in October 2017. It remains owned by the SRPS.
|912 at the Scottish Gas Board plant at Aberdeen – August 1969|