This locomotive was built in 1878 and started its working life on the construction of the Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway along and through the cliffs of the North Yorkshire coast.
This spectacular railway was noted for its steel viaducts across the deep valleys cut into the coast. The constuction job was of poor quality and when the North Eatern Railway took over the line they had a lot of work to do to finish it to a safe condition.
The locomotive was sold to the Skinningrove Iron Works in its equally spectacular cliff top location between Redcar and Whitby. Here it worked until 1963 when it was replaced by diesels.
Minnie then spent some 20 years on the Kent and East Sussex Railway before moving to the East Kent Railway and then to Mangapps Farm Railway Museum in 1993.
There are no plans to restore the locomotive to running order at present.