This locomotive was built in 1907 and delivered new to the Cleveland Works of Bolckow Vaughan & Co Ltd at Middlesborough to work at the steelworks. Here it was given the name Cyclops.
The locomotive has 14in x 22in outside cylinders, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels and weighs 28 tons.
Bolckow Vaughan & Co Ltd was subsequently acquired by Dorman Long & Co Ltd in 1954 with the company becoming Dorman Long (Steel) Ltd. Ownership passed to British Steel in 1967 when the steel industry was nationalised.
The locomotive was rebuilt in 1956 by Dorman Long.
By 1970 British Steel had moved the locomotive to their Apprentice Training Centre at Lackenby Works in Middlesbrough.
Records indicate that it was the last steam locomotive at the British Steel Lackenby Works where it was noted to be out of use in May 1974.
The following year Cyclops moved to the Tanfield Railway at Marley Hill where it was cosmetically restored.
It remains stored on the Tanfield Railway.
|2711 at the Tanfield Railway – April 2012|