This locomotive was built in 1909 for Turner Brothers who gave it the name Asbestos. Turner Brothers were engaged in the production of asbestos sheeting, at their Trafford Road factory in Manchester.
The locomotive was made redundant in the 1960s and the owners donated it to the Chasewater Railway in May 1968.
It was returned to steam and operated for many years on the Chasewater Railway before being taken out of service in 2012 for a ten year boiler inspection and overhaul plus renovation of the running gear and bearings.
The locomotive is currently on static display at the Chasewater Railway whilst funds are sought to cover the cost of the work required to return it to service.
Back to R & W Hawthorn Leslie & Company