This locomotive was built in 1914 by Hawthorn Leslie and was delivered new to The Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd to run on the Hetton Railway as No 14. The locomotive was constructed with two outside cylinders of 16in x 24in, 3ft 10in diameter driving wheels and a weight of 37tons 15cwt. It cost £1,336 to build and was sold for £1,530. It joined classmate locomotive 13 HL 3055, delivered just a couple of weeks before.
In November 1924, the company became The Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd (LHJC) and 14 was still at Hetton when the National Coal Board took over on Vesting Day in January 1947.
It was moved to the Lambton Railway, Philadelphia shed by September 1950 and then back to Hetton in June 1952. By January 1961 it had moved to Vane Tempest Colliery, Seaham. The following month found it at Seaham Colliery before moving back to Philadelphia shed in May 1961, Dawdon Colliery at Seaham in November 1962 before entering the Lambton Engine Works at Philadelphia, for overhaul in July 1965.
It was run in at Philadelphia before returning to Vane Tempest Colliery in October1965, Seaham Colliery in December 1965, Vane Tempest Colliery by August 1966 and back to Philadelphia locomotive sheds in October 1968.
It was put in store at Philadelphia before moving to Beamish Museum in September by which time it was the last Lambton Railway steam locomotive on the site.
At Beamish it was restored and painted in LHJC livery.
In 1972 the locomotive moved to the Tanfield Railway before returning to Beamish Museum in April 1979. In 1980 the locomotive was rebuilt by Clark Hawthorn Ltd at the Northumberland Engine Works at Wallsend.
In 2010 the locomotive was donated to the Tanfield Railway where it is still based but is currently in store.
|3056 at Beamish Museum – 1990|
|3056 at Beamish Museum – September 2010|