This locomotive was originally built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1923 as an experimental compressed steam locomotive. This had two 150hp petrol engines. This was not a success and in 1927 it was converted to a conventional steam locomotive. As such it was ex-works on 31st January 1927, with the works number 3513.
The locomotive was constructed with two outside cylinders of 14in x 22in, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels and a weight of 32tons 10cwt
It was delivered to Strakers & Love Ltd, Brancepeth Colliery, Willington, Co. Durham. By March 1940 it had moved to their nearby Brandon Colliery
In January 1947 the locomotive passed into the ownership of the National Coal Board (NCB) when the industry was nationalised.
It moved to the Brandon Pit House Colliery in September 1960 and whilst it was there it was rebuilt by the Hunslet Engine Company and the NCB.
It moved to Wheatley Hill Colliery in May 1967, where it was painted in yellow livery with wasp stripes. The locomotive only stayed there until May 1968 when it was moved to Shotton Colliery.
Shotton Colliery closed in September 1972 and the locomotive was sold to Stephenson Hawthorn Locomotive Trust and moved to the Tanfield Railway at Marley Hill in July 1972.
It then ran in unlined black livery for many years.
The locomotive is currently awaiting an overhaul on the Tanfield Railway.
The locomotive carries a brass stag on its chimney, which was formerly carried by its shed mate RW Hawthorn Leslie Works No 1821 of 1880.
|3513 at the Tanfield Railway – August 2018|