This locomotive was built in 1924 by Hawthorn Leslie for Marston, Thompson & Evershed. This brewing company was formed in 1905 and followed the amalgamation of Marston and John Thompson & Son Ltd in 1898 with the merger with Sydney Everhed in 1905 to form Marston, Thompson & Evershed.
It was delivered to Marston’s Brewery in Burton on Trent in 1924 and remained working there until 1955 when it was relegated to being the spare engine. As the spare it was only used for five weeks a year when the main locomotive was overhauled.
In 1967 the locomotive moved to the Foxfield Railway.
In 1970 it was moved to the Great Central Railway at Loughborough where it was withdrawn from service three years later for an overhaul. It was returned to steam at Loghborough by 1973.
In 1996 the locomotive moved back to the Foxfield Railway where restoration work started but is still ongoing.
|3581 at the Foxfield Railway – September 2004|