This was one of five identical locomotives supplied by Hawthorn Leslie to the Associated Portland Cement Company (APC) of Swanscombe, Kent, in 1928. All seven worked on the site until the opening of a new works and the introduction of diesels made them redundant.
The Swanscombe quarry became the site for Bluewater shopping centre.
The locomotive was constructed with two outside cylinders of 16in x 24in, 3ft 3in diameter driving wheels and a weight of 25tons and a tractive effort of 21.425lbf.
Buckinghamshire Railway Centre
3717 spent all its working life at Swanscombe and was offered to the Quainton Railway Society by the Blue Circle Group, of which APC was a constituent. It was acquired at a nominal cost and delivered to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton in June 1971.
After some minor repair work the locomotive was operational again in August 1972.
Major boiler work became necessary during 1975 and the locomotive was withdrawn from service.
During 2008 the locomotive was cosmetically restored and it has since been placed on static display.