This locomotive was built in 1928 by Hawthorn Leslie for the City of Newcastle Electric Supply Co Ltd at Carville Power Station in Wallsend. The power station owner became the North-Eastern Electric Supply Co Ltd in September 1932.
The locomotive was constructed with two outside cylinders of 14in x 22in, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels and a weight of 28tons.
The locomotive was moved to Dunston Power Station around 1936, where its later owners were the British Electricity Authority from April 1948, the Central Electricity Authority from April 1955 and the Central Electricity Generating Board from January 1958.
In December 1973 the locomotive moved to J Parker at Slaggyford Station in Cumberland, for preservation and received the roughly painted name The Barra.
It moved to Marley Hill on the Tanfield Railway in July 1991 and awaited restoration for many years.
In 2012, work commenced to prepare the No.13 for a full boiler inspection. To facilitate this, the boiler was jacked up out of the frames.
The locomotive is currently being given an overhaul on the Tanfield Railway.