This locomotive was built by Hawthorn Leslie and supplied new in in 1929 to the Oldham Electricity Works.
It was a fireless locomotive which means that it had a steam accumulator rather than a boiler and was charged up with steam from a stationary boiler. It also meant that there was no chance of it starting a fire.
It had 20 inch x 18 inch outside cylinders and 3 feet ½ inch diameter driving wheels and weighed 36 tons.
At some time it moved to Huncoat power station near Accrington next to the Preston to Burnley line.
The power station at Huncoat was planned back in 1946 by Accrington Corporation. It started producing electricity in 1952 and operated until 1984. Following nationalisation of the electricity industry from April 1948 ownership of the power station was vested in the British Electricity Authority (BEA) which completed the construction of the power station. Following reorganisations in the British electricity industry ownership of the power station devolved in April 1955 to the Central Electricity Authority (CEA), then to the Central Electricity Generating Board (GEGB) from 1 January 1958.
The locomotive is now stored at the Tanfield Railway awaiting restoration.