This locomotive was built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1935 for Alexander Cowan & Sons for use in their private sidings at the paper mill at Valleyfield at Penicuik in Midlothian.
When in service it was painted in a royal blue, inlined livery without any name on the side tank. It was converted from coal to oil-fired traction during its time at Valleyfield.
On closure of the mill the locomotive was bought for a private collection based at Lytham St Annes. At an unknown date the Lytham St Annes collection was broken up and the locomotive was purchased by a member of the Aln Valley Railway who aimed to open a private railway line from Alnwick to the East Coast Main Line at Alnmouth.
It was moved into the original station building in Alnwick next to Barter Books.
An enforced move saw it relocate to Wooler to the premises of an agricultural engineer (Michael Fairnington) who repaired steam locomotives as a sideline. The locomotive however, stood outside for a number of years during which time its condition deteriorated.
The locomotive has now been moved to Lionheart which is the new Alnwick station on the Aln Valley Railway where it is planned to cosmetically restore it.
|3799 at Aln Valley Railway – August 2017|