This locomotive was built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1934 for Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd to work at the Corby Iron & Steel Works.
Stewarts & Lloyds had moved to Corby in 1932 in order to make use of the local iron ore to feed the blast furnaces and Bessemer steel converters. Work to clear the new site commenced in 1933 and the first blast furnace was lit at Corby in May 1934. By December 1934 steel was being produced.
Stewart & Lloyds bought six locomotives from Hawthorn Leslie in 1934 of which 3827 was one. They were all of the same design with 16in x 24in outside cylinders and weighed 35tons.
Stewart & Lloyds became part of British Steel in 1967 when nationalised.
By the beginning of 1971 12 steam locomotives remained on the Corby site in addition to the 26 diesel locomotives brought in.
It is understood that the locomotive was converted to oil burning at some time in its working life.
In 1967 the British steel industry was nationalised and the Stewarts & Lloyds steel tube works at Corby became part of British Steel Corporation. In 1973 the government approved a strategy of consolidating steel making in five main areas – South Wales, Sheffield, Scunthorpe, Teesside and Scotland – most of which are coastal sites with access to economic supplies of iron rich imported ores. In the government agreed a programme that would lead to the phasing-out of steel making in Corby which resulted in over 5,000 jobs being lost there by the end of 1981 and further cuts which took the total loss of jobs at Corby to 11,000. The result was an unemployment rate of over 30%.
This locomotive was identified as being destined to be purchased for preservation by the Corby Urban District Council as a piece of the towns industrial heritage. Consideration was given to having the locomotive displayed in the town centre but it was decided to place it in the East Carlton Countryside Park & Steel Heritage Centre at Corby. This is where it remains slowly rusting away in the open air.