This was one of a number of locomotives supplied by Hawthorn Leslie to the Associated Portland Cement Company (APC) of Swanscombe, Kent. This one being supplied in 1935. The locomotives worked on the site until the opening of a new works and the introduction of diesels made them redundant.
The Swanscombe quarry subsequently became the site for Bluewater shopping centre.
The earlier Hawthorn Leslie locomotives were constructed with two outside cylinders of 16in x 24in, 3ft 3in diameter driving wheels and a weight of 25tons whereas this one had 15in diameter cylinders and 3ft 4in diameter wheels and weighed 33tons.
The locomotive was gifted/purchased from APCM in 1971 to work on the Middleton Railway.
It was in service on the Middleton Railway for four years before being withdrawn for an overhaul. The overhaul did not commence until 2001 and is still ongoing.
In 2018 the Middleton Railway announced that they had raised enough funds to complete the overhaul of the locomotive.
In March 2019 the boiler was sent away for the replacement of the outer firebox sides and other work.