This locomotive was built by Hudswell Clarke in 1922 as a 16inch 0-6-0ST.
It worked at the British Steel plant at Scunthorpe as No 8 Dorothy before going to the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway in the 1970s
Little work was done on restoring the locomotive although the boiler was overhauled and certified in 1992. Also fitted with a giesel chimney.
The restoration of the locomotive came to a halt when the full extent of the work that would be required to restore the chassis became evident.
It was then decided to converted the locomotive so that it could run as Thomas the Tank Engine. Despite the boiler having been certified a long time earlier, it needed no further work as it has not been used since the test.
The basis of the decision to convert the locomotive from a saddle tank to a side tank engine was that apart from the boiler the locomotive was in an appalling condition and needed a lot of work doing to it. Therefore, it was not a significant increase in cost to convert it to Thomas. As a small locomotive it was unsuitable for services over the whole line.
Following its rebuild as Thomas in 2000 it has since run on the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway and on other heritage railways.
|1450 as Thomas on the Embsay & Bolton Steam Railway – March 2010|
|1450 at the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway – July 2012|